Friday, January 7, 2011

Why Powder Snow is Epically Gnartastic

As many of my imaginary blog readers are likely aware, my adopted home town of Revelstoke, British Columbia is getting absolutely dumped on by an epic snowfall right this moment. In the past 48 hours there has been 55centimetres of fresh, dry, champagne powder snow to fall in town and at our ski hill; Revelstoke Mountain Resort. This doesn't include the fact that it has been casually snowing since Monday (today being Friday) and the national weather office is predicting another 15 cms of snow today, plus 5 more on Saturday! This means almost one full METRE of powder snow within about 4 days or so. Epic!!!

So why is powder snow so epically gnartastic? Well, first I need to qualify this post by stating that there is no place more epic for powder snow than right here in Revelstoke. I may be slightly biased, but I doubt it. Ask anyone. They will tell you this is the place to be and this is the winter to be here. Is the powder epic because it's so dry, so fluffy, so soft, so plentiful, all of the above? Is it because everyone in town closes their businesses for the day and shreds sick pillowly lines at the resort? Is it because you can skid around town in your car and drift gracefully into the giant snow mounds? Is it because it's winter, and hey, if it's going to be winter it might as well snow, and snow buckets? Is it because gliding on 50cms of fresh pow with some nice big fat skis is akin to flying? Yes, yes to all counts, it is most definitely.

Yesterday was incrediballs. I too, closed the door to my office and took the morning to rip my skis into all the fresh powder. Even with a sprained ankle and sprained knee (the result of a "skiing" injury, see: post christmas party accident) I was not going to be sidelined on a day like that. Now that I think about it some more though, TODAY is also a "day like that" and I am, in fact, back in my office writing a blog post....I really need to rethink my priorities...

There's nothing better than floating your way through some pristine powder. You feel almost weightless as the snow splashes up in your face. Bouncing over pillows into deeper and deeper powder, it flows over you almost like smoke. There is no sound except for the sliding of your skis and the soft "fwump" of the snow hitting your chest. Transcendental.

So as you are imagarily reading this in an imaginary location not bless with epic amounts of gnartastic powder snow. Try to imagine what it's like to visit nirvana in the form of white fluffy stuff. There is nothing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment